The Deobandi’s claim to be the real Sunni’s in the Sub-continent. Well lets test this against the Arab Sunnis, who the Deobandis claim to follow.
1) Arab Sunni’s accept the permissibility of Mawlid/Milad - Deobandi’s and Wahhabis don’t
2) Arab Sunni’s accept the concept of Hazir o Nazir for the Prophet (Sallal Lahu Alaihi Wassalam) - Deobandi’s and Wahhabis don’t
3) Arab Sunni’s say Ya Nabi (Sallal Lahu Alaihi Wassalam) - Deobandi’s and Wahhabis don’t
4) Arab Sunni’s believe that Allah Ta’ala has granted the Sweet Beloved Prophet (Sallal Lahu Alaihi Wa Salam) with the knowledge of the unseen (Ilm e Ghaib) - Deobandi’s and Wahhabis don’t
So, as you can see here, the deobandi’s (who claim to be Sunnis) actually take the side of the Wahhabi’s in these four key aspects that differentiates a Sunni from a Wahhabi. Alhamdu’Lillah, the true Sunni’s of the Sub-continent, or if you like, Brelwis, accept the above four, therefore adhering to the way of traditional Sunni’s.
Recently, Deobandi supporters just refer to the article by Shaykh Nuh Mim Keller. However, aside from more complex issues, the Shaykh made some elementary mistakes.
1) Scholars always tell us to learn Arabic so that we can understand things better. So why didn’t Shaykh Nuh learn Urdu? Surely, to understand the huge Deo/Brelwi conflict, one can only make proper analysis if they firstly learn the language of the people concerned, which is Urdu.
2) Shaykh Nuh only read a small percentage of the material. This material was translated into English (thus losing some meanings).
3) Shaykh Nuh didn’t fully read both sides of the story
4) Crucially, the two people that translated the material are from a Deobandi background. So, where is the neutrality that the Deobandis claim?
The current discussion is undoubtedly an issue of extreme importance to the Ahl as-Sunnah w’al Jama’ah. We welcome Shaykh Nuh’s attempt’s to understand the disputes between the Ahl as-Sunnah w’al Jama’ah & the Deobandi-Tablighi movement but deeply saddened by the outcome of his research in his essay. The dispute is certainly over a decade old & one that will not be decided or concluded based on a contemporary Scholar’s review
Also, ask those in the know why certain Ahle Sunnah Ulema’s from the Arab/Hijaz/Shaam areas have shut down their websites?
If you ask most prominent Sunni Shaykhs from the Arab area that have knowledge of the Deo/Brelwi issue, they will tell you that Shyakh Nuh made a mistake with the Takfir article.
I have met some great Ahle Sunnah Wal Jamma’ah Ulemas from the Arab/Sham area, and they clearly support the Brelwi’s and say that the Deobandi’s have deviated. However, most don’t want to say anything at the moment. However, some Ulema such as Shaykh GF Haddad and Shaykh Hisham Kabbani clearly show their support for Brelwi’s over the deviated Deobandi’s.
PS: My intention was not to say anything bad about Shaykh Nuh Mim Keller. I just wanted to show that the Deobandi’s new main source of defence has some key flaws.